Directory

The Bryant Glossary

This glossary contains common terms used in the air conditioning business.

Listings
There are 73 Listings in this Category.

Advanced Reciprocating Compressor

Type of compressor that uses a more efficient process for compressing refrigerant for better cooling efficiency.

AeroQuiet System

Bryant's AeroQuiet System includes sound-deadening features in the cabinet, fan system and top for better air flow, lower noise and better efficiency.

AFUE

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. Indicated as a percentage, your furnace's AFUE tells you how much energy is being converted to heat. For example, an AFUE of 90 means that 90% of the fuel is being used to warm your home, while the other 10% escapes as ...

Air Handler

The portion of your air conditioner or heating system that forces air through your home's ductwork.

Beckett Burner

A burner assembly within your oil furnace, manufactured by Beckett to exact specifications of Carrier. This burner provides good combustion of heating oil.

BTU

British Thermal Unit. Used for both heating and cooling, BTU is a measure of the heat given off when fuel is combusted. Or for cooling, it's a measure of heat extracted from your home. (One BTU is approximately equal to the heat given off by a wooden kitc ...

BTUH

A British Thermal Unit (BTU) is the unit of heat required to raise 1 pound of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit. BTUH is British Thermal Units per Hour.

Capacity

The ability of a heating or cooling system to heat or cool a given amount of space. For heating, this is usually expressed in BTUs. For cooling, it is usually given in tons.

Carbon Monoxide

A colorless, odorless, highly poisonous gas produced when carbon-based fuels, such as natural gas, burns without sufficient air nearby.

CFM

Stands for Cubic Feet per Minute. A measurement of airflow that indicates how many cubic feet of air pass by a stationary point in one minute. The higher the number, the more air is being forced through the system.

Check-Flo-Rater

The patented Check-Flo-Rater metering device accurately controls refrigerant flow to ensure precise system operation, efficiency and performance.

Compressor

Part of the heat pump or air conditioner unit that controls the pressure applied to the refrigerant, necessary for taking in heat to warm your home or getting rid of heat to keep your home cool.

Condenser Coil

Part of the outdoor portion of a split-system air conditioner or heat pump. By converting refrigerant that is in a gas form back to a liquid, the coil sends heat carried by the refrigerant to the outside. Also referred to as an Outdoor Coil.

Continuous Fan Switch

A feature on an oil furnace allowing the furnaceÕs fan to blow continuously to improve system efficiency and maintain even temperatures.

Damper

A type of "valve" used in duct work that opens or closes to control airflow. Used in zoning to control the amount of warm or cool air entering certain areas of your home.

DB

Decibels (dB) are a unit measuring the intensity of noise.

Downflow

A type of furnace that takes cool air from the top and blows warm air to the bottom-common where your furnace must be located in a second-floor closet or utility area.

Ductwork

Hollow pipes used to transfer air from the Air Handler to the air vents throughout your home. Ductwork is one of the most important components of a home heating and cooling system.

DuraGuard

DuraGuard™ is a Bryant innovation that protects outdoor units from weather and increases durability.

EER

Energy Efficiency Ratings (EER) measure the efficiency with which a product uses energy to function. It is calcuated by dividing a product's BTU output by its wattage.

Page 1 of 4

Georgia Cooling of Middle Georgia - FAQs and Glossary

Facebook Facebook Google Google Picasa Picasa Twitter Twitter
Middle Georgia SEO
Read Our Privacy Policy